BOX4TECH

Search

Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Streaming Netflix on the iPad via Verizon iPhone 4

One of the most exciting advantages the Verizon iPhone 4 has over its AT&T counterpart is its ability to become a mobile hot spot. A mobile hot spot allows several devices to connect to it via Wi-Fi and then uses a cellular signal to connect those devices to the Internet. Essentially the hot spot becomes a wireless router.
I was curious about the strain something like this would have on the iPhone 4's battery, so I decided to run a little test. I turned on the iPhone 4's hot spot and then connected a Wi-Fi-only iPad to its network. I then streamed a movie through Netflix ("Macbeth"; the Patrick Stewart version, which is surprisingly ambitious, by the way), until the battery on the iPhone 4 died. The movie is only about 2.5 hours, so periodically I'd have to scrub it back toward the beginning.
For comparison, I used the T-Mobile MyTouch 4G, as it was the only hot-spot-capable phone available for testing at the time. I used the same methodology to kill the MyTouch 4G's battery life.
To provide context, I'm also including how long each phone's battery took to die while playing a movie. The movie, "Toy Story 3," on the iPhone 4 was optimized for iPhone 4, whereas "Toy Story 3" on the MyTouch 4G was encoded at 720p. Read more...
Source: news.cnet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive